Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François or their website
- Enriched doughs – I use either the challah or brioche recipe
- Marble rye – the New Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day.
- I used the homemade caramel color instead for the pumpernickel dough. Am going to try a teaspoon of coffee or unsweetened cocoa next time
- I did not use the vital wheat gluten.
- Rolled the 2 doughs flat. Stacked them on top of each other and rolled together and made an oval.
- I recommend not baking the bread until the next day. It was much more flavorful after a week in the fridge.
- I recommend letting it rise longer than the 90 minutes.
- Otherwise I baked it according to the rye recipe.
No Knead breads
- Basic no knead bread https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
- No Knead Olive Bread https://www.oliviascuisine.com/mediterranean-black-olive-bread/ I’ve also substituted cut up sopressata for the olives. It was yummy too.
- No Knead Multigrain bread https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-harvest-grains-bread-recipe
- Sesame Pan Bread 芝麻大餅 Goes great with the cumin lamb. http://tastynomz.blogspot.com/2010/07/sesame-scallion-bread-zhi-ma-da-bing.html
- Big Bun 大包 recipe.
- I used this one as the base http://thewanderingeater.com/2013/11/23/pork-dai-bao-big-bun-%E5%A4%A7%E5%8C%85/
- However, there is a typo in the amount of water. It should read 2 1/3 cups of water. Not 1 1/3 cup. Doing the conversion to volume the recipe calls for about 9-10 cups of mixed flours total. The usual proportion is about a 3 to 1 ratio of flour to water for these types of doughs. The butter I added works about about 7 tablespoons. 8 tablespoons of butter is half a cup, so that would bring the liquid up to about 3 cups.
- Also, the dough is enough for 24 buns, not the 32 as the filling quantities indicates. Not unless the sausage the author uses is lot shorter than standard commercial packages. I cut the sausage into quarters the first time I made them.
- This is my restating and correction of the dough proportions.
- Cider Donuts
I only use about 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar. I use Chinese 5 spice instead of cinnamon to coat the donuts.
- Biang Biang Noodles Recipe: https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/biang-biang-mian-biang-biang-noodles/
- Beef pockets 牛肉餡餅 http://www.ourkitchentales.com/tales/2015/7/14/mama-liaws-meat-pockets
- Garlic Chive Boxes – 韭菜盒子 https://healthynibblesandbits.com/chinese-chive-boxes/
Sometimes I add fresh or dried shrimp, I usually add dried tofu. I do not add coriander powder. And as I type I realize I’m going to have to write up my filling recipe at some point.