This is recipe I start with for lemon curd.
But because I’m me and I like tart, so I make it to suit my own taste.
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- lemon zest for at least a whole lemon
- Start boiling water in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler you can make it directly in a sauce pan on the stove top, but you have to keep the temperature low and stir constantly, otherwise the curd will burn or you will get a lot of lumps.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Place over double boiler and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Mix in the zest.
- Stir in butter until it is incorporated – basically it melts into the hot mixture.
- But it in a container with a lid and put it in the refridgerator.
I prefer the curd after it’s been sitting overnight. The butter has a chance to really extract the flavor from the zest. Otherwise, I don’t think it’s lemony enough. YMMV.